Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Not My Mama's Cornbread with dinner tonight

I don't always make my mama's cornbread although I really, really love it. At some point, I went over to the Dark Side and started adding, yes, that's right, SUGAR to my cornbread. The result is actually quite wonderful. This recipe came from Allrecipes, but I have several other similar versions.

Golden Sweet Cornbread

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup white sugar
1 tsp salt
3-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray or lightly grease a 9-inch round cake pan.

In a large bowl, combine four, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk, and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter in to prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Tonight this is going with pork chops with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, and broccoli.



No comments:

Post a Comment